About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I enjoy running and the question always is, "what's next?" in my running. What is my next challenge or goal and where is it going to lead?

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tendonitis Update & Decisions


Went to the doctor yesterday (5/1) and he told me there really wasn't anything else I could do except let it heal or go to physical therapy. I told him to write the PT a recommendation - he did with ASAP on it. The tendentious is still there but has been feeling better just not where I was hoping to be and still had this nagging "tightness" in my shin which was masked by the pain from the tendonitis. 

Got into the physical therapy office, signed up and they worked me in rather quickly. The PT started with the ultra sound & heat- oh, that felt good - I told him to "crank it up". After that, he started to work on my shin muscles using his forearm. He said he would work it as hard as I could stand it, I didn't flinch, I just let him work it. As he was working those muscles he noticed a spot, a knot or something, and applied additional pressure on it. It hurt but I didn't flinch, 'cause it "hurt so good" but that must have worked because once we were done it felt good. It felt good last night and it felt good this morning - it still feels good today. He showed me some things to do to help relieve some of the pressure and tension on that tendon. He also told me he would do a few other things when I come in next week.

I'm determined to go running. He knows this and informs me I can run but I had better take a couple days off in between runs (which I do anyway - most of the time) to let the tendon recover. He also told me he could not have me 100% in 2 weeks for my trail marathon but he can get me well. I just have to make a few decisions - keep running, make the marathon and take longer to heal or skip the marathon and get well sooner. OK, ok, I'm thinking and don't rush me ... I'm still thinking even today. I've got those two little voices in my head (or shoulder), you know "Mr. Logic & Reason" and "Mr. Rationalize & Stubborn" giving me advice, voicing their opinions.

Saturday morning, the "test". OK, how much conditioning have I lost by not running for 2 weeks? I have been doing some recumbent biking and weights but it just isn't the same as running. I had to run - you guys know that - I was having runners' withdrawal. As I mentioned above, my shin was feeling good (the massage and working out of the muscle knot) and not a lot of tendon pain. So I ran. I did 8 miles this morning in 1:11:12, about an 8:40 pace. Not bad but I could tell I was a little winded. Humidity was awful as well, even though the temperature was about 70F.  I figure I've lost about 20-30% conditioning. Throughout the run this morning after the 1 mile, I had a dull ache from my tendon but it was manageable. I was afraid that after the run I would be in a lot of pain - nope, just a little dull ache - and still no real discomfort as I'm typing this. 
Running Summary
Runs:1
Total Time:01:11:12
Avg. Mi Pace:8:39
Avg. Cal. Burned:1214.0

Ok, a few thoughts. First, I recommend not running a long distance in new shoes - learned my lesson. Next, don't always run through sharp, intense pain - I think that was part of my problem. And, I wonder if I had a knotted muscle in my shin that caused some tightening of that tendon and when I went out for my run on that Sunday, it caused some micro-tears which caused the tendonitis. I guess the next thing I have to do is decide, marathon or not? .... I'm still thinking. I have at least a week and a half to decide.


1 comment:

  1. tough call, but I think unless you get some remarkable improvement in just a few days you need to take a pass on the marathon. I don't know how important this one is to you, but... There will be others available later.

    ReplyDelete