About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I enjoy running and the question always is, "what's next?" in my running. What is my next challenge or goal and where is it going to lead?

Saturday, June 18, 2011

SweetDaddyD 50k


Yes, yes I know, this is long overdo.

Back in April I went up to Missouri to run a 50k run in honor of my friend Doug Rice, who meeting through Twitter have become good friends. Found out we had similar backgrounds growing up and a love for running and adventure.

So I drive up on a Thursday, we get an easy run in, head to his house, meet the family - whom I had met when he came down to run the Mercedes 1/2 last year. You may ask why drive so far to just run 30 miles. Well, I was originally going to run the Frisco Highline 50k (which is very close by) but the date wasn't the weekend we thought it was going to be; it was the same weekend as the Derby Marathon and I had already scheduled the time off from work, so we made our own 50k event. We went out and rode part of the trail .. my toes about froze. The temperatures had dropped and I did not pack clothes for the cooler temperatures that moved into the region. Luckily, this made it great for a 50k.

Event morning arrived and Doug was scheduled for a 12 mile run so we ran together, he then switched to his bike to be the rolling aid station/pack mule/sherpa for the rest of my adventure. As with any distance event there are ups and downs and always at least one very memorable moment ... I think mine was the "code brown". I mean I had to go!!! First place I tried was the local public swimming pool facility but the doors were locked ... not good, so Doug suggested the only convenience store along the route and I think that was the fastest mile during the whole run ... hahaha. I made it and thanked the clerk for the use of the facilities.

Normally I'm the one to be doing all the chatter but on this day I was a little quiet. Not to let things stay too quiet, Doug did the talking and it was very welcomed. Doug did a great job on being the rolling aid station. He took a few pictures along the way which were posted on DailyMile. 31.82 miles in 6:07

All in all, I had a great time. So thankful to Doug and his family opening their home to me for the weekend. My most coveted "award" for doing an event is the "trophy" for completing the SweetDaddyD 50k that Doug made for me

No comments:

Post a Comment