About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I enjoy running and the question always is, "what's next?" in my running. What is my next challenge or goal and where is it going to lead?

Saturday, April 2, 2011

This and That


"What's been happening lately?, you might ask.

Well since Cheaha's fiasco I've settled back into my training and I bought a road bike. Yes, I know you're asking, "why are you going to do a Tri?". Maybe but it was mostly for cross-training and a possible reverse duathlon (bike/run/bike) in October.


And "YES", I have already fallen over trying to un-clip on on my second or third ride but not since then. I'm really enjoying cycling as part of my cross-training, something I wasn't really to sure I would like but I do. Longest ride to date is a 23-24 miler with a friend of mine, who also gave me a fluid trainer (which I have cleaned up and repainted - not that it was in bad shape) that in good shape. As a part of my cross- training I have also started back at the pool, swimming - I've got a ways to go to get back in decent swimming condition, not that I'm a swimmer. OK, ok this is sounding like Tri training and yes, in the back of my mind is the entertainment of doing a sprint tri either this year or next.

On the running side of things building back up for a 50k in a couple of weeks (4/16 or 17). This is a homemade 50k again, I'm calling the SweetdaddyD 50k in honor of my friend Doug who is going to put me up for a couple days. Doug lives in Missouri and the course is on a rails to trails that they hold a race on but we are going to be in Louisville for the Derby Marathon that weekend so, I'm just going to run it early. Oh yeah, the Derby is 2 weeks after the 50k (4/30/11). Looking forward to the trip and the run.

As a learning experience out of the Mount Cheaha 50k fiasco, I have begun running more trails and hills in the forest the past few weeks. The hills are of decent climbing and decent so I should be in better shape for my next trail race ...... I'm seriously leaning to the .... Lookout Mtn 50 miler which falls on my 51st birthday. I know I was going to do 50 by my 50th but injury sidelined that and I am trying to stay healthy so I can do this.


Things are starting to green up and I am enjoying my run in the forest. No one to bother you except an occasional truck passing by. Last week I ran 18.6 and just didn't feel great, not sick, just that my legs felt heavy and sluggish. Since the runs are long with no chance of getting any water along the way, I have to be self-supported. With that said I am wearing my Nathan hydration vest (1.5L) and a handheld with my HEED and gel mixture for my hydration needs. Carrying the extra weight sure does make a difference and I think that was part of the problem last week. The other issue was I rode my bike Friday evening after work, not that that may have had anything to do with it. So this Friday, I went to the gym to swim in the morning but in all honesty, I intended to ride that evening again but work went a little long and I bagged the ride. So who knows if it had any effect but I had a supper run today. I have been working on my run/walk the hills method - needs some work - and managed to cover 21 miles in just 8 minutes over last weeks time. This weeks avg pace was 9:54 vs 10:40 last week. I'm really hoping this makes me stronger - I'm sure it will - so I have a better experience on my 50 miler.

Summer will be coming soon so I need to get used to the heat and humidity. I know my pace will slow but that's fine I just need to keep plugging way at it.

So what's on the radar? 50k 4/17/11 ; Derby Marathon 4/30/11 ; some bike rides and continued running through the summer ; MojoStLoco Social Relay 6/25/11 ; Flora-Bama Hot-to-Trot Reverse Duathon 10/15/11 ; Lookout Mtn 50 Miler 12/17/11. There may be - and I'm sure most likely - another event or two but that's what I see for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment