Ragnar Relay - Tennessee, was a relay that started in Chattanooga and finished in Nashville, 195.5 miles. I ran Legs 7, 19 & 31. If you've never run a relay, let me explain. We had 12 runners, 2 drivers and 2 vans. Van 1 handled the first 6 legs before turning over the race to us, van 2. What's a leg you may ask? Well, that's the portion of the race that is your responsibility to run. Not all legs are the same distance or degree of difficulty. So basically, you run and then hop in the van when done until it's your turn again. It's like having 3 short races within 1 big race.
the mountain on the left is the one I've got to run up.
Leg 7, was my first leg, 1:02pm, 11/5, was the leg no one seemed to want. Why, because it was 5.5 mile up a 1220' mountain - ok, hill for some of you people where there are "real" mountains but down south that's a mountain, hahaha. I took off like there was no tomorrow! I managed to pick off 4 runners only to have one of them pass me about 2/3rds of the way up - that was the last time I was passed. Somewhere between 2.3 & 2.5 the elevation of the "hill" began to get steep and continued like that the rest of the way to the top. At about the 3 mile mark, it started to rain - that's ok, I don't mind rain - then, wait, what's the white stuff bouncing off the guard rail? Sleet! Ok, rain, mixed w/ sleet and now, wait what's this snow too??? Yep, I got 3 on the way up the hill. I'm soaked, which isn't too surprising since I sweat like crazy anyway, I'm cold and I'm having a great time, chugging away up the the hill. Finally, I'm there! I hand off and all I want to do is get into some dry clothes.
5.51 miles 51:06 minutes 9:15 avg pace
Leg 19: Lynchburg, TN, 10pm 11/5, second leg. Not a whole lot happening on this leg. It was my shortestdistance of3.4 miles. as I was waiting for the hand off it felt like it was raining, was it raining? Oh no, its snowing again. That kind of became one the jokes of the race. I think I'll take it easy on this run, I must save a little something for the final leg .... I'm off! It's dark, cold and snowing. I'm just having an awesome time! I see a runner, can I pick them off, yep, I pass them and continue with my pace. I'm running, I'm running hard - after all, this is a race, right? - I see another runner, can I catch them, yep, caught and passed, I'm alone, I'm in my zone, chugging away. I thought this was "flat", so why do I feel like I'm running up an incline!? Later I realize I was, that's why. I hit the chute, exchange made, my second leg is complete. Oh yeah, I didn't take it easy, I ran!! 3.41 miles 24:32 minutes 7:12 avg pace
28F and yes, I'm wearing shorts
Leg 31: Franklin, TN 6:43am 11/6 my final leg. It's still dark, it's still cold - actually, it's colder, 28F - but no snow, rain or sleet.Just a clear morning waiting for the sunrise. I'm wearing shorts, and I overheard one of the women handling the exchange station after I left that "did you see that guy, he was wearing shorts", I just laughed! I really wish I had brought a pair of compression shorts - but hey, you do what you've gotta do - because my legs were cold during the first couple of miles. I see one runner, I finally catch and overtake them. I passed them running up a hill and last time I looked back they were about a 1/2 mile behind me. I'm running alone again, in my zone. My quads hurt but I can handle it. The sun is coming up, what an awesome day as Ido a little daydreaming long the way. A couple vehicles pass me and honk - I wave - so cool, I'm in my own little world. I hear my footsteps, I hear my breathing, I see my breath as I exhale ... relax, just run, enjoy the run, push it, give it all you've got now the exchange is in sight and this is the end of my race within the race.
6.58 miles 50:24 7:39 avg pace
Side notes:
1 van, 6 runners, wet smelly shoes & clothes. Smells only a runner can joke about and appreciate.
Sleep, what's that? I had about 1.5 hours over the course of the race.
How do you change clothes in a van with men & women? very carefully, under a blanket or in the dark. Again, something only a runner can joke about and appreciate. Oh yeah, and apply bodyglide .... we'll just skip that story.
How well do you know the people you're running and spending all this time together? You're going to know them a lot better than you did before this little adventure.
1 sprained ankle and 1 lost runner (they made a wrong turn) but we still made the exchange.
How did you do?
We finished 76 out of 160 teams
Team Name: Almost Over The Hill
Team Bib #: 30
Time: 29:30
Distance: 195.5 miles
Avg Pace: 9:03
Individual stats:
Distance: 15.5 miles
Time: 2hrs : 6 min : 2 sec
Avg Pace: 8:07
the teaming coming to the finish line
We're finished
AWESOME! I had a friend here close to me put a team together called the "hipbillies" I really wanted to run:o( but it was the same weekend of my MMTR 50 sufferfest:oP
ReplyDeleteglad to see a blog update!! missed ya my friend!!
Jenn, I remember the seeing that team van. Oh, and I thought you rocked MMTR 50 ... WTG!!!
ReplyDelete