About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I enjoy running and the question always is, "what's next?" in my running. What is my next challenge or goal and where is it going to lead?

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

INJURY....... ARGH!!!!! (New Shoes or Blisters)

Let me start by saying, I had to make a choice ... new shoes or blisters .... I took new shoes. With that said, I should have known better than to wear new shoes on a 19+ mile run without a break-in period. After my run Saturday (4/18), I felt great but sometime before bed, I noticed my lower shin was sore. It actually just felt a little tight. No problem, I'll just run after church Sunday like normal and that will stretch out that tight shin. It's hurting!! Oh well, I'll cut my mileage and just run about 3-4 instead of 6-7. Nope, it's starting to feel a little better, still hurts but it's manageable, I'll just finish as planned with the 7 miles. After finishing the run, my shin went into major retaliation .... it hurt twice as bad as it did before the run.

later that evening, I noticed a reddish spot where it hurt. This can't happen! I'm feeling great and running some of my best runs .... NO!!!!!!!! Marathon is in 4 weeks, I can't have this setback, not now.

I'm using the R.I.C.E. method ...... Chris Russell of the RunRunLive Podcast says to cook the rice it sticks better to the leg - ha. No, I don't mean the rice you eat ... Rest-Ice-Compress-Elevate.

3 days out and counting .... It still is a little sore but not like it was and it is improving but it looks like I'm not going to run for a couple more days.

I'm getting stir crazy so now it's time to hit the gym and work out and swim as long as it doesn't aggravate my leg.

Day 4: feels better but I can still feel the "grinding" when I move my foot up and down and it still hurts and "feels" tight. I think I've detected a little swelling around the lower leg / ankle areas. Went ahead and made doctor's appointment. They can get me in Friday morning ... this will pretty much let me know whether or not I can expect to make the marathon in 3 weeks. I may be able to get a cortisone shot but heard that can be risky. Although, it may be just what I need to get rid of the inflammation. I just don't want to listen to a doctor tell me about running "high" mileage and that at "your age" you really have to be careful .... I hate hearing that!! Yeah, OK, I know that I'm getting older but I'm in better shape - even with the injury - than the majority of the people my age and even younger. I mean I can do a 32 mile race as well as marathons, half marathons, 5K's and 10K's. I work out fairly regular with weights, my resting heart rate is in the low to mid 40's and yes I know I'm going to have injuries - it's part of the game - even at my age or any age. Let's hope it's not a bad report ..  I don't think it will be, it's just the redness that keeps concerning me. The redness though is most likely from the irritation of the tendon rubbing against the sheathing or muscle - not sure which - when walking. It just keeps it irritated.  Update tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment